Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The most expensive item in my wardrobe...

This is about the very, most expensive item in my wardrobe – yes, it’s my beloved Liverpool FC’s top a.k.a jersey, season 1996/98, in which point of time that my favorite player, Robbie ‘God’ Fowler rules and scorched the goals of opposing teams… (though we never won the EPL title… many thanks to the mancs..). Until today, more than 10 years later, this very jersey is still, and (maybe) will always be the most expensive shirt I ever bought..

I bought it, if my memories don’t fail me, sometimes middle of 1997. at that time, we can get original branded jerseys at around RM150 only. Nowadays, it’s almost double that price!!! At that time, I was really in love with this famous football club... that I sacrificed my lunches; dinners and suppers, just to save the money to get my hands on this top. But it took me quite a some time to save because I was studying at that time and money is also needed to buy materials for assignments, reports, every day activities, visits etc… but I never stopped saving and finally did manage to buy it (a big thanks to my sisters and brothers who supported me all through my university days.. without them, I would have never survived. So I am sorry I used some part of the money you all sent me to buy this jersey..!!)

After making sure I got my budget correct, one afternoon, I went off alone to Jaya Shopping Centre (but we usually call it Jaya Supermarket though), section 14, PJ. I think the name of the Shop was Sportstation. Got into a bus from H.U. and I am on my way to buy my most ‘expensive shirt’. My heart is thumping hard, excited that at long last, I will get my hands (or body, rather) on this dream shirt.

When I arrive at Jaya Supermarket, I thought I was actually running and not walking because it felt like I arrive at the shop in no time. So here I was at the entrance of the said shop and what luck!! They’re on sale... so I got a 10% discount on my, yes ‘MY’ very first Liverpool top. I bought the home (red) jersey and purposely took the XL size though I am not that ‘big’. (Something in my head tells me that I will get ‘bigger’ in few years to come). So, yes, at that moment of time I looked like a ‘hip-hop’ guy with this big Liverpool jersey on me (and I don’t like hip-hop). But, I don’t mind that, because, my dream has come through.

Since then, I always wear this Liverpool jersey anywhere, anytime because not only that I love this shirt very much but for being proud to show that I am a Liverpool FC’s supporter. I think I wear it almost every time, to lectures, to activities, to shopping malls, etc. I believe this makes most of my friend remember me as the guy who always wear a Liverpool jersey anywhere, any time (even until today I still wear my Liverpool tops most of the time). But don’t get me wrong, if the shirt needs to go to the laundry, it needs to go to the laundry..hehe (I am never comfortable of unwashed clothings..).

Well, that’s my story of my most expensive shirt ever bought at RM150 more than 10 years ago. Nowadays, although I am working, I can’t afford to buy original Liverpool tops because it costs almost RM300!! Besides, I have other commitments like paying bills, family etc.. Therefore, I resort to buying ‘replica kits’ a.k.a ‘ciplak’, which many of us may call them. But I usually get the ‘Grade A’ ones, which is about 99% almost similar to the original thing. Last year, I bought all of Liverpool tops at RM50 apiece. Imagine that if I buy the original ones, I can only get half-a-shirt!!

At the same time, I also think that a shirt is only a shirt if the wearer only wears it as a shirt to cover the body.. For me, wearing Liverpool top is a proud thing and it also gives a testament of my utmost support to Liverpool.. through rain or shine. I am proud to say that ‘I live and breath’ Liverpool FC!!! The cost of the jersey doesn’t matter or whether it is original or not… the ‘soul of the wearer’ is… IMHO.

So, my Season 96/98 will be my most expensive shirt ever… (though if I can afford it some other time.. I will get my hands on the new kits..huhu)..

(will post hombidai’s most expensive shirt picture later…)








4 comments:

Lab papa said...

Huhu..Hombidai sa paham perasaan berdebar2 tu mo beli apa yang kita mo dan telah berusaha simpan loi begitu lama..huhuhu..bestkan

Memang ko penyokong kuat Liverpool sampai ko punya Karabau Putih pun panuh barang2 Liverpool. Sa ni setakat tengok2 dan siok2 saja bola ni...

Ingat lagi jaman2 lepas SPM pegi tengok Sabah main bula...kalo kalah bukan kana sokong..kena kutuk lagi hahahaha

Tungoh said...

huhu... kadang2 time pi membayar tu pun tangan terketar-ketar, tapi lepas tu.. fuhh... perasaan yg sukar dijelaskan & digambarkan selepas dpt barang yg kita idam-idamkan..

yes!! jaman2 scottie ollerenshaw, matlan marjan, henry anjun etc... time tu kita nda paduli bersesak-sesak kan.. hahaha.. sukung sukung juga tapi kalau kalah kutuk juga...huhu.. kenangan terindah lab papa

Lab papa said...

Hombidai, nanti kita kasi kawan2 si JJ sama wafi supaya geng2 cam kita juga...ok kah tu hahahah

Hombidai said...

tatap bulih lab papa ... hombidai jr & lab papa jr meneruskan ceritera bapa mereka...