Thursday, August 14, 2008

Something about Merdeka Month...

It's already middle of the month, but I realised that it's very rare to find cars, motorcycle etc. flying the Jalur Gemilang. In and around KK, I mean.

If I look back about more than 5 years ago, during Bulan Merdeka, there will be lots, if not all, cars and motocycles especially, adorned with Jalur Gemilang, including our very own Sabah flags. At that time, it will be rare to see cars without at least one small flag. But, nowadays, its the other way round. There's lesser and lesser each year.

I wonder why? Is it because of the current political situation in our country? or is it because there are less free flags given nowadays? or that the cost of the flags are more expensive now (due to sellers taking advantage as many people wants to buy it during Merdeka Month)? Perhaps, there's a long list of reasons...

I am a football fan and I support Liverpool FC will all my heart and soul. Urang bilang Penyukung Susah Mati.

For me I am supporting Liverpool FC - the club. The Club is not about just one person, but the whole team. Players come and go. Say if Steven Gerrard opts to go to another club (touch wood!!!), though I idolised Stevie G, I will still support Liverpool FC. If you are a true supporter of a particular club and not just 'skin deep supporter' only, you will know what I mean.

Another example, to Man Utd fans, if C. Ronaldo go to Real Madrid, will you change allegiance and support Real Madrid? No, I don't think so. (unless you are supporting the player and not the club lah)

Now, if you say you don't don't want to fly the Jalur Gemilang because you don't like the current ruling Government because of some political reasons... I believe you are dead wrong man. Are you nuts for saying something like that? if you still believe that what you say is correct, then maybe you better go and change your citizenship, ASAP. Even the Opposition parties will not say such a thing. FGS, this is our country man!!

Just like supporting a football club (as I have explained earlier), feelings towards our Country is more or less the same (unless you are speaking about Malaysian footie team lah...). Our Country, is not about the ruling Government or even, perhaps, the Opposition Parties. Again, it's your country, FGS dude!!

Even the Penduduk Tempatan Istimewa are flying and waving the Jalur Gemilang with joy, which I saw with my own eyes last year. Why? Is it just for fun to them? or is it because because they really love their adopted country as they are living their 'dreams' here?

I know, I know, loving or showing your patriotism towards your country is not necessarily by flying the flags. But to those people who say "I don't don't want to fly the Jalur Gemilang because I don't like the current ruling Government"... please re-think your views dude...

Am I being patriotic this morning?  Just overheard people on the bus chatting on this matter, so I couldn't help to post my views here (Well, it would be a folly if I told them my views right on their face, aren't I.. hehe)

"Tanggal 31, Bulan Lapan, '57...." (aaaa Sudirman's song..)

8 comments:

rin-chan 린- 찬 said...

nowadays, most RM goes to the petrol station so nda cukup duit mo beli flags. Saw a couple of cars this morning with Jalur Gemilang on their hoods though

Lab papa said...

I don't think so the flags are expensive. Besides, once you buy, you can keep use it exhaustively.

Yeah, special citizens, they like to fly any flags even the ruling party's flag.

rin-chan 린- 찬 said...

yalah, can get one for less than RM5. i never put the flag on my car though. My bro did (years ago) and it fell off his car 2-3 days later.

MJ Diaries said...

Betul tu Hombidai. Semangat patriotik kena ada. Macam aku gak kalau Ronaldo masuk Real Madrid pun aku still sokong Man Utd. Hehehhe ..BTW , your car sudah ada kah bendera? ^blink^ Rumah aku ada 2 bendera besar tu...Cam over plak kan? *blush*

Lab papa said...

Atas meja sa di lab ada bendera malaysia, nanti sa blog huhuhuh

--- said...

Selamat Hari Merdeka , saya balik kampung hari tu, :) , kalau saya dapat gambar semua perayaan hari merdeka,saya buat nanti kalau sempat... kalau ada masa terluang..

Hombidai said...

rin-chan & pab papa - bendera d kedai between RM2 - to RM9, depending on size...

MJ - ada bendera tapi bukan yg jenis terbang, car sticker ja. Ja lur gemilang & Sabah....

San - ngam.. nanti ko kasi blog aaa... berhati-hati di jalan raya

KaDusMama said...

i had a flag last time..sekali my son p main and kasi patah the stand..so no more bendera sudah..
ada juga p cari di kedai, tapi kualiti tu bah, macam cincai2 saja buat the flag..terus nda mau beli juga..
end-up kerita teda bendera..hehe