Friday, November 7, 2008

Urban legends...??

I've just finish sharpening my pencil...

When I was in primary school, I remember a friend who scolded me for blowing the pencil sharpener right after sharpening a pencil to clean the leftovers. He told me I should never do that as the pencil sharpeners’ blades will ‘tidak tajam lagi’. And true enough, those pencil sharpeners that I ‘blow on’ will no longer be sharp. And can you imagine, until now I never do it again.

Perhaps, the ‘lay-men’ explanation to this is that the air from our lungs contain water vapours. And when we blow the sharpener, water vapour will stick on the blades. I’ve seen some becomes rusty...

Though, nowadays, we can buy those sharpeners with rotating hands and you won’t ever need to ‘blow’ them anymore..

Cheers and happy weekends to all!!

4 comments:

Lab papa said...

As a scientist I always believe that there are scientific explanations on every things happen around us. But there are also many things that could not.

Happy weekend to hombi and family.

carolchs said...

im not a scientist but i also believe everything has its own scientific explanations although some may not. kira, sa sukung ko lah bah ni lab papa :)

ko tau hombi...sa bukan pandai tu pakai tu sharpener with rotating hands...lagi pun bulky bah tu. :)

Linachu said...

Hi Hombidai. Our lives are full of 'urban legends', don't know how they originate but I agree with you that most surely have a more scientific or logical reasoning behind them. Contohnya..can not putung kuku at night.. i dont know the actual reason why but a more logical reasoning is probably dulu-dulu they only had candles or lamps and they dont putung kuku at night because takut tidak nampak and terluka..

Hombidai said...

Lab papa & chegu - i agree, they are scientific explanations to most things but some also do not have. though if we look back and remember all those 'urban legends' while we are still yound and don't know anything, it's quite fun..

linachu - true, especially us Asians and particularly Malaysian. My parents used to scold me when i was small for cutting nails at night for some reasons. i agree with you, dulu-dulu there's no proper lighting and of course no proper pemotong kuku - maybe they use knives or whatever sharp things to cut - so takut terluka pula.. but to discourage people at that time, they connect it with the supernatural things around them at that time..