Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Crumbs...

On 19/12/2008, the three of us went to 19122008_001Donggongon town for a dinner. We intended to have it at the place we always go, but we didn’t believe what we saw - it was “under renovation”!! the whole shop is totally stripped to bare. Perhaps they are going for a total renovation…

So we went to the next shop across the building. While waiting for food to be served, I noticed two of the stalls which were previously ‘stationed’ in the original “under renovation” shop plying their business there… I wonder if the restaurant closed down. I wanted to ask the guy manning the grilled fish, but my son kept me busy…

At the same time, I noticed that there was some kind of function being held at Buhavan Square. I decided to have a look while my wife had her dinner first. I took my son with me as I have already feed him and he seems to be ‘full’. I know he wanted to have some 'running' in the open space..haha

This is what I saw :-

19122008

Perhaps this is the highest Christmas tree in.. err... well.. Penampang.

It's decorated with green and red clothings, with ribbons and big boxes of 'presents' hung around it. And of course, some decorative lights..

I appreciate the effort but I've seen much better Christmas tree from this one..

It's too "rigid" and too "flat", at least in my point of view

19122008_006

 

This 'screen' is supposed to show the 'going on' on the stage inside. But I've been here for about an hour and the only thing I can see is a blue screen. I pity those people who wanted to watch via the screen..

The audio is a also terrible. From outside of Buhavan Square, people are getting irritated with the 'echos' and 'delays'. From my point of 'hearing', the terrible sound system/set up makes the singers as if they're singing out of tune and out of tempo. Or perhaps they actually sing that way?

19122008_005

Perhaps that's why few people go and 'really' attend the so-called "Penampang District Inaugural Christmas 2008" event. Maybe, there are less publicity for this event? What I saw is only a handful of people standing. Some of them are only "passer-by" like me. I bet the organisers and their families are the ones who fill up those empty chairs

The veterans singers sang Kadazan oldies songs, which in my opinion, do not reflect the Christmas occasion they are organising. It became more of alike a wedding party to me. At one time, the emcee suddenly announce "Penyayi seterusnya adalah.. Velvet!!!" (I think it's Velvet Lawrence of AF4). But the actual "singer" who came on stage is not Velvet but an "underground" band (I think) who sang Awie's song...

Is the emcee trying to attract people outside to the place? maybe.. but it's cheap publicity and "cheating" the public too. Anyway, if it's reallt Velvet, the people outside won't hear him because the sound system as I mentioned earlier is really "great"...

I don't want to be harsh in my comments but I do hope the "Organisers" organised it in more organised manner. It's the Penampang District's event after all. It's not a small function and it's done in the public too. I do not know about publicity, as I myself haven't heard of the event.. maybe I didn't noticed or hear about it.

ahh well.. they won't read this anyway.. but my nieces and nephew organised our recent family Christmas celebration much better them.. hmm..

3 comments:

Lab papa said...

Gitu lah tu Hombi, especially lagi kalau organized by Sabah Gov, kadang2 sampai at the point I feel very ashame.

Because you've mentioned about cheating, I remember a concert for the 5th college open day. Initially, the organizer announced that Feminin are coming. Walaupun tia minat Feminin, tapi mo juga la pigi tinguk hehehehe. But to our disappointment, sekali datang MSteen itu pun satu org jak. Hahahaha.

Hombidai said...

sampai begitu sekali Lab Papa?.. waduhh..

bab yg tipu2 ni yg sia nda suka juga..

apapun Happy new year to you Lab Papa and family

The Explorer said...

Ko perasan ka di Daily Express few days ago somebody actually penned down his/her disappointment about this? In fact, it almost resembles what you'd mentioned...OR was that you?!!!