Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Solar Eclipse

Read about the solar eclipse here

Wow!! though we may not be directly under it’s path, i guess ada juga tempias-tempias kali he he he..

I believe Lab Papa will be ready with his gadget to record this rare occurrence. Just take note from this:-

"We'll have to wait a few hundred years for another opportunity to observe a solar eclipse that lasts this long, so it's a very special opportunity," said Shao Zhenyi, an astronomer at the Shanghai Astronomical Observatory.

See.. the scientist says a few hundred years!!!

In my lifetime up to now, I remember experiencing moon eclipse. I was very small then – maybe 4 –5 years old but I can still remember because the people in my kampong beat gongs and whatever they can use to ‘scare’ Talob.

Talob, in the Kadazandusun’s belief, or so the orang tua-tua says, is the culprit who cause the moon eclipse. Talob was a guy who never stops eating. He eat and eat and eat until his kampong ran out of anything to eat. So this wise guy Talob went berzerk and ate the moon.. nice guy indeed.

So, the kampong people had to chase him away by beating gongs or whatever items that can make loud noise..

Well, that’s a story told by mom when i experience the solar eclipse when I was a kid..

Anywany, I was wondering if there is a Kadazandusun story or myth about solar eclipse? I never did hear people beating gongs or anything when it occurs..

Well, can’t wait for tomorrow to experience the ‘tempias’… I guess people in Shanghai are very lucky to see it..

3 comments:

carolchs said...

i remember mcm ada tu solar eclipse yg late 90's kah tu...yg paling bagus mau tingu sana matunggong tu. i remember mom asking me to get ready a pail with water inside so that we can see the eclipse through it to avoid glaring from the sun.

Aza said...

Sia rasa macam baru ja moon eclipse di sini. I think it was last year tapi sekejap saja oh, I couldn't even tell the difference. Yeah, solar eclipse macam last di SBPS.

Hombidai said...

there are a few moon and solar eclipse kan.. cuma nda ingat sebab selalu yg tempias2 ja..

Chegu - ya mcm ada time tu sia ingat

Aza - sia pun ingat ada time kita iskul di sbps