Friday, July 25, 2008

You go girl... Datuk Nicol Ann David



I never understand how squash is played or scored. Nor did I ever try to understand the game itself. What I know is that it is played by two people in a space enclosed by four walls, hitting a small ball. And I believe you can never play doubles in this game, otherwise it will be too crowded..hehehe. So, squash is a one-man game. Solo, if you may want to call it. I understand it can be a very physical game.


Squash never seem to be a well-known game in Malaysia, until this lady - Datuk Nicol David - becomes the world champion. So, nowadays, if you ask anyone about squash, Nicole David will come into mind. Similarly with myself, she has 'introduced' squash to me. So, whenever there is a game of squash on the satellite tv, and Nicol in action, I will surely watch it.


Recently, she has been awarded the title 'Datuk' by the Penang Government. Well, what a fantastic recognition to someone who not only is a world champion, but also made Penang and Malaysia proud. I am not so sure if she is the youngest 'Datuk'' in Malaysia but she deserved it. No one can deny that such recognition is fitting for someone like Nicol David.


Some people may question about her being conferred the title at such a young age. But why question it? she really deserved it, don't you think? furthermore, she is not a one-off champion, She keeps on winning games and championships year after year. very consistent. unlike some of our athletes who become champion one day and free-fall the next day. But Nicol is different. She has the mentality of a champion, very professional and high determination. She doesn't sulk when she lose, but comes stronger to come back and win. Nor did she rest on her laurels when she is winning. Great lady, she is. And she deserve all plaudits and recognition of her achievement.


Some people were given Datukship just by doing something, once in their life. Yes, I agree credit where it is due. But, those people who questions Nicol David's recognition are people of 'narrow mind'. But I am sure most Malaysian will agree with me that she deserved what was given to her....


So, for those of you who wants to know more of this 'Super Lady', you can visit the website dedicated to her at http://www.azuanzahdi.com/nicol/index.html. You can view all her achievements until today, if you like and decide wether she deserves her 'Datukship' if you are still in doubt.


Anyway, I hope she will win the CIMB Malaysian Open 2008 tomorrow (26/07/2008) against Natalie Grinham. You go girl and make Malaysia proud.. (http://www.squashsite.co.uk/malaysian08.htm)


As for me, I am also already being conferred my Datukship this year. Yea, it's true, I am a 'Datuk'. If you do not believe it, you can ask my grand-daughter Xaviera-Marie....hehehe


Sorry for my digression...


Go Go Dato' Nicol Ann David

(Edited)


6 comments:

NicolDavidOnline.com said...

hey there!
thanks for blogging on nicol and linking to our website!

nicol rocks!!

Editor WMSiew

The Explorer said...

Datuk Hombi

Though I do not agree with the whole "datukship" whatchamacallit, I too believe that the value of Datukship has decline in stature. Yes I value Nicol's contribution, no question to that but a Datukship seems too "easy" these days. Some it seems just to "tie" down Malaysian plying their trade abroad - Dato' Jimmy Choo, Dato' Michelle Yeoh.. oh even Datuk S. It is sad but true that Malaysian in general are too obsessed with title. Miss the "haji" or "Dr" (PHD mind you) or even those fake "Colonels" (Honorary!!), "Sr", "Ar" and "Ir" in letters etc and be prepared for the consequence. It seems that the very core proverb, "harimau napatai tinggal belang, urang matai tinggal nama" have been totally tossed out the window..

Hombidai said...

WMSiew of nicoldavidonline - wow, didn't expect you to 'found' my blog about Nicol... thanks for visiting & will link nicol's blog to my humble blog...

Tan Sri Hawk - yes, i know very well that there is a lot of issues concerning the conferring of title nowadays... well, as i have said, super Nicole David deserves it.

Don't forget there are many Datuk's out there deserves their title and of course, many other don't deserve it...

Yea, some people obsessed with title, i agree..

Lab papa said...

She deserved the title on what she have contributed. As a Malaysian, I'm proud of her.

I too agree with Rizwan. Some of us are too obsessed with title. And sorry to say some of those Datuk don't qualify enough to be one and yet are so arrogant.

Anyways, go Nicole. Sky is the limit.

KaDusMama said...

Congrats for being a 'datuk' ya hombidai! hehe you deserved it..

Poppet said...

Ehm... bukan Datuk Hombi ni.... Moing Hombi bah hehehe