Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Just a thought...

CNY is a few days away. The festive and holiday mood is also already in place. Most of my colleagues also can’t wait for next week as they are all be missing from the office for a week.

For these past few days, if you look in the newspapers, you will read about many people visiting and handing variety of gifts to the old folks, disabled, orphans etc. This is the norm and expected during festive seasons, be it Christmas, Aidilfitri, Chinese New Year or Deepavali (and some others). There will be long queues of organisations, YBs and prominent people visiting centres or homes for those people in need. And of course, there will be much news like these coming up in the newspapers, TV etc. These people in needs will also have their hands full of gifts, ang pows and many more. They will be shaking hands with big guns of whom they only knew only from TV or the papers.

They may also be chatting with crowd of strangers. Their homes or centres will be filled with the festive mood during that time. Some, like children will be happy because they will receive a lot of attention, gifts and money. Perhaps too, there are people like old folks will just pass those visitors a nuisance. They too may end up in the news like some important people. Of course, these people are treated like royalties during these very season.

Ironically, when the season is over, the crowd goes missing. The big guns is nowhere to be seen. The laughter and joy died. These places becomes quite. All back to ‘normal’ mode. And perhaps these special and people in need will be forgotten, left in the dark, until the next festive season comes around again….

I don’t complain about this situation. It’s the norm everywhere, I suppose. The people in need also used to these situations. In fact we are all are used to this ideas – whenever a festive season comes around, it’s time to ‘give’ to the people in need. Yes. Me too. I am one, not until what I’ve encounter a few years back. That ‘experience’ really opened up my mind, heart and soul…

When I was studying in university a couple years back, I was actively involved in a student’s organisation. We were, as expected from young people, doing lots of activities all year round. And one of them is visiting people in need especially children during Christmas time. We, like many organisations, were buzzing during Christmas and will start looking for centres or homes to visit. We will invite or encouraged members to join in – it doesn’t matter where your heart is – as long as there is a crowd and the visit is successfully carried out.

And it all happens on one particular appointment with a centre administrator of a children’s home, of which we are trying to make as one of our place to visit during Christmas. She spoke these very words, which until today still lingers in my mind:

“We appreciate what you all are doing and we are more than happy for that – visiting us during this merry and joyful season. However, as you all know, other organisations are doing the same too. We actually have 20 groups visiting us this Christmas. Not to mention CNY and other festivities. But once the season is over, it’s all over.

There will be no more visits from anyone until the next festivities, or worse, until next Christmass, apart from visits by a few small groups that is smaller yours, who will come occasionally to be with the children and entertain them. You don’t need to bring lots of gifts or money or anything. Just being with them, organised games, chatting will be just enough and wonderful for them. They are kids after all…

So, why not you all come sometimes when there is no festive season around. There are too many groups already visiting us and sometimes it’s too much for the children. I sincerely hope you all can come when there are no one coming.. we are of course, lonely during these times.. and we are seemed to be a forgotten lot.. until the next festive season comes…”

This very words has open up our mind, especially me. We end up not visiting the centre during Christmas time but we went there at a later date. It’s a weird experience at first, doing this kind of thing out of the norm. But when we did it a few times, it was actually more meaningful than actually doing it during the festive season. We found out that when we visit during festive season, our mind is more or less focussed on the season itself but not the recipients of our visit. By visiting them during off-season, we can focus more on them and it’s really meaningful and beautiful.

Another advantage we found is that when organise our visits off-season, we actually can get more members to join. If we do it during festive season, many have gone back to their hometown for holidays and so on.

That’s one thing that I have learned which really open up my mind. Thanks to the centre administrator who gave us the words or advice and her opinion.

We still do visits during festive season though as there’s nothing wrong with it but our visits during off-season is our main priority. We wanted to make a difference. A difference we did make. Although the idea seemed absurd by many, but after a few visits.. our members did understand.

When I left U, I had the chance organise the same thing during off-season to the youths at my hometown. Perhaps some members find the idea absurd. Some objected it (but behind my back and out of my earshot) although I tried in vain to make them understand. Perhaps there are members who loved it. Maybe the Centre we visited at Sembulan too finds it amusing and out of the norm… but never mind…

I have nothing against visits during the festive season. It is good. It is the norm. Mind you, Hari Raya Aidilfitri is nine months away…

11 comments:

Hombidai said...

test..

carolchs said...

bah, plan something with the sassagers to visit these places during non-festivity season...i'd be happy to join.

btw, are u going to the CNY gathering at Cherkoyu's place?

MJ Diaries said...

Agree with you. Actually banyak boleh buat. Lagi best kalau ada yang satu kepala kan? Aku selalu ingat satu benda..dalam setiap ringgit mungkin hanya 1/4 yang kita punya. The rest belongs to someone else. So..whatever you earn , share it with someone else.

Tapi sekarang cam terbalik pulak..yang orang lain punya pun orang main belasah ja buat cam harta sendiri plak kan..? hehhe (aik..EMO plak)

Anonymous said...

Hey I can see the verification word now! woohoo!

I actually never visit rumah anak yatim. Would love to, but don't know where and how here. Now that I wrote that... it is true, I have never seen an orphanage here, or maybe I just never search for it. And senior citizens (rumah orang tua) are mostly living by themselves at home (Americans like to stay in the comfort of their homes) or if their family think it is too dangerous for them to stay by themselves at home, they will be sent to what they called Adult Assisted Living Homes. These homes are just like hospitals, nurses will be around and the seniors will be taken good care of there. Depending on how rich they are, they can choose to either share rooms or have an apartment unit by themselves.

Anyway, this post reminds me of a visit I made to a N** Healthcare, it is like a hospital for adults (sorry they call senior citizens adults here don't know why) but they do have apartment units for them too. Clay's mom actually works there and she was going to drop some clothes she bought for one of the patients. The patient shared a room with another lady. When we were visiting the patient, the other lady (they were separated by a curtain) was crying because she didn't have any visitors. Aduh.. kesiannya... so we made up some bouquet of flowers and talk to her and gave it to her. We asked when her family would come... and I think her family do visit her it's just that not that often. It reminds me of my own parents. How far I am from them. If something happens to them, I can't take care of them. It makes me sad.

Hombidai said...

ohh dang!! there must be something wrong.. i myself can't eve comment and the comment i made was lost.. where?

Hombidai said...

Hi Chegu.. have to retype all my comments.. oh man!!

anyway, i have that in the pipeline though bulum panas lagi.. so Cherkoryu's pkace will be a starting point. plz check updates at FB.. there might be something on with the orphanage project in Tambunan by Smith.. sadly, i can't make it to Cherkoryu's..

Lab papa said...

I agree with you. Everybody knows that some big shots will do visit and give presents or money to orphans and old people for the sake of showing off. They will say they do it because of sincere and pure heart. What a BS. If you are sincere enough, then don't tell people about it.

Lab papa said...

Btw, I encountered the missing comment problem few months ago several times. Nowadays, I will save my comment before I post, just to play safe hehehe. Have a nice day Hombi.

Hombidai said...

Yes MJ.. lagi best kalau satu kepala.. sharing is caring

Hombidai said...

Aza.. oh how sweet of you to go and talk with the old lady...

I too will not have the chance to go to visits these people in need - children and adults - had it not for my involvement with the group I am in..

onced we visited an old folks home somewhere in Selangor.. it almost made me cry as they remind me of my parents back home at that time.

anyway, don't worry Aza.. I know how you feel..

Hombidai said...

Lab Papa.. yes I agree... some people are not sincere, they have hidden agendas..

I remember this "do not let your other hand know what your other hand doing"... something like that but I think you get the idea..

ahppy are those who make anonymous contributions to people in need