Friday, July 31, 2009

21 Guns..

Cool song from Green Day..

I always loved the way Green Day composed their songs.

I loved the melody progression of their songs. Most of all, they liked to combined acoustic and electric guitars. The riffs, climax and ending are to my liking. I consider Green Day’s compositions are “simple”. Well, at least that is what I think. If I go for bands like Helloween and Metallica, their composition are more complicated with combinations of riffs, solos etc. very very complicated.

I guess this is due to me not being ‘terrer’ in playing guitar. I learned on my own by watching other ‘sifus’ do it. I can never follow exactly how they do it, so I compensate by creating my own style based on what I see and learn.

Yes, I can never imitate them because I play “upside down left-handed” due to a ‘technical’ reason of my body parts. That’s why I can never learn how to do complicated solos or even other more advanced guitar fingering method.

But despite that, I am glad that I am able to play the guitar. Better than can’t play at all. Credits to my elder brother who guided me on how to do upside-down chords. He gave me the idea and I learned on my own and even perhaps perfected it with of course, my own style.

I was also lucky to have great friends who taught and shared with me over the years on how to play guitars. Of course they taught me in the ‘normal’ way and then I reverse it and create my own style, as I will not be able to follow 100%.

So after that, I dabbled in song composition. I never had any formal training though. I just hear, listen, watch, read and ask friends who knows. I loved heavy metal music but as I have said earlier, it’s too complicated to follow and also I don’t have proper knowledge. Then Green Day came. So I thought their music and song composition influence me one way or another.

However, believe it or not, most of my composed songs are spiritual Christian songs. I have quite a number of them composed over the years, enough to make an album. I have a few songs which are non-spiritual but they are what I consider ‘bida’ ha ha.

Well, once I am able to buy a proper electric guitar, I am going to composed some songs something like Green Day do.. ha ha ha.

And once my JJ old enough to learn, I am going to ask Lab Papa to teach him how to play drums. He likes to ‘ketuk ketuk’ the cans, containers etc in the house nowadays ha ha. Maybe he got what it takes to become a proper musician than his dad. Perhaps, I am going to buy him a kiddie drum soon.. I saw one in Toys ‘R us the other day.. haha

2 comments:

Lab papa said...

Greenday, they are brilliant. Their music became matured after their album american idiot. I dont think they will hit if they are still playing the same old straight forward kind of music like 'basket case'.

Tapi hombi mimang power main gitar woo...masi lagi terngiang2 di telinga sa dia punya skill.

When we were in university, I would go to hombi college which is quite far from mine, just to play his guitar and kacau his roomate mo belajar hahahaha.

Haiya si labpapa tia pandai main drum ooo lagi, sini pun sa da nampak tu drum anpan man, memang suda kena target oleh si lab papa mo angkut hahahaha

Hombidai said...

totally agree with you lab papa.. their music become more 'matured' and more "meaningful"

jan la gitu lab papa, hari tu kita pi jam main2, ko punya lah bulih tahan main solo..huhuhu.. i envy you

mgnik karat sikit lama nda main dram tapi skill tatap ada tu lab papa hahaha

wah.. drum anpan-man?? huhu... kasi blog nanti my friend..

hahaha..ya betul.. punya jauh ko datang pi kolej lab papa... huhu