Friday, February 27, 2009

Kadazan, Dusun or Kadazandusun?

This one is another thing that provokes my sanity..

This issue has resurfaced ‘again’ a few months back and has become a favourite topic is the Daily Express’ Forums. Whatever the argument is, I don’t give a damn thing. Yes, I don’t give a damn thing whether my race should be Kadazan, Dusun or Kadazandusun. Some people may ‘blast’ me for this but this is my stance.

Why should the community bicker about this issue which is never-ending since time immemorial, especially the community leaders? Why waste time? I mean the KadazanDusun (okay lets me use this term to make my life easier.. I mean my posting) is basically quite behind the other races, especially the three main races in Malaysia – the Malay, Chinese and Indians in terms of economy and politics. Why bicker about this, IMHO, "small thing”? the community and its leaders should be bickering about how we can advance as ONE COMMUNITY economically, politically or wherever there is an opportunity?

Okay, I’ve read about how “Kadazan” came about, plenty of them in the newspapers. A lot things been said. Some people like to dwell on the past, but perhaps has forgotten other important things, I believe. Some people will ‘argue on this matter like there are no other things to do or to argue about.. why waste time?

In my opinion, the community should be ‘arguing’ about why their children can’t speak the kadazandusun language, why they can’t even dance dance their traditional dance like sumazau while other people of other races can do it gracefully, or how come they don’t know about their traditional customs? These are the few things they, especially the community leaders should be bickering about. And I haven’t include issues like why kadazandusun people still “behind” in many ways, how can we become a great and respectable community etc..

Oh well, some people just like to bask in the limelights for controversial issues and/or like to dwell in the past and talk on and on and on, blaming this and that.... crap talking!!!

Talk and waste time if they want to on this issue, but my stance will still be the same, I don’t give a damn s#@t about it.

Okay, some people may ‘attack’ me, go on. Many people may harp things like they are much better than the other – dusun singers and songs are much better, proud to be a Kadazan, Kadazan live in towns, there are many dusun politicians etc. They may be right or wrong. But the thing that makes it crap-talk is that one community thought they’re better than the other. CRAP!!!

Why can’t we just be like the Malay community as an example.. eventhough Malays in KL may not be able to understand most things said by a Kelantanese, they are still ‘Melayu’. Just like myself, a “kadazan” as stated in my IC, may not be able to understand some of the words by Dusun Aroma when he speaks in his Tambunan dialect, but still we are of the same people and community aren’t we? Like my first cousins who lives in Membakut, they speak a different dialect, but that doesn’t make them a different people from me, isn’t it?

I don’t want to bat an eye on these craps and nonsense.

I’ve talked with Dusun Aroma briefly on this issue and I agree with him that as for the race we should use – just follow the IC/Mykad i.e. Kadazan, Dusun, Kadazandusun– but hope you are not listed as ‘Lain-lain’.. that would be something else altogether..

Now I am talking crap myself..

The main thing I want to say to the community is, let’s us speak or discuss or argue about other things instead of this small issues of whether who should be a “kadazan or dusun or kadazandusun or whatever”…

Geezzz!!!

3 comments:

Aza said...

Hmm. susah juga tu kalau they want to divide one race into different communities. I can understand labeling oneself as being associated with a particular race because I do think that that is a way to maintain the culture and tradition. My late grandfather was the last person in my family (mom's side) that could speak Kadazan/Dusun. Although he was Kadazan/Dusun, all his children had Brunei (coz my grandmother is Brunei) on their ICs and none of them knew how to speak the language. So my grandfather's culture and tradition are wiped off from my family. Sooo yes, I do think it is important to keep reminding ourselves who we are but not to the point of trying to prove we are better than others.

The Explorer said...

Kadazan and Dusun. Plain and simple. I have a friend who actually claimed that Kadazan can only be found in Penampang..

Hombidai said...

Aza - i agree with what you say that there's no need to prove we are bettre than others. when I think of it again, this is one main problem that really 'disturb' me..

it's one thing that really unique with us sabahans is that we have many 'bloods' in us.. whic is truly unique for me..

Hawk - your friend is quite right but wrong too. people who call themselves kadazan are found in Penampang AND in Papar & Inanam too.

however in Penampang too they are people who call themselves dusun, those who are in more rural Penampang like buayan etc..