Friday, February 27, 2009

Pure digression from the original intention...

I do have a lot of tasks to finish but my mind is so jammed up now. So let me just typed a thing that just conjured up in my mind quickly before I am lazy to type and share them with you all…

Have you all ever thought what you will be if you are not doing what you are doing now? I mean, what will Lab Papa, a scientist, or Chegu Carol, an educator, be doing now if they never get to do what they are doing now?

I was thinking about it just now (yeah.. my mind is jammed so I was trying to think of something else just to clear my mind hehe so I digress here), but belive me or not, I can’t even think of any!! Perhaps my mind was in a mess, but really, I can’t relate to do something meaningful other than what I am doing now.

When I was schooling, my parents never ‘told’ me to do something like become a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer unlike other friends parents (overheard sometimes.. bukan menyibuk lah hehehe). My mother always advice me to “just do well in school”, and I suppose she wanted to say “and good things will surely follow suit”. Perhaps because my mother is not an educated person (she never goes to school), she never have ideas like ‘become a doctor or lawyer when you grow up”. May be that too is a blessing in disguise, as I never have any pressure during school days to become ‘somebody’, all I wanted to do was ‘just do well’. Because of that too, I never thought of any career to take up as one. Although when there is a question of ‘what do you wan to become when you grow up?” – I simply answer anything, ranging from policemen, fire fighter, army etc.

I carried this mentality when I moved on to a ‘lovely’ school on a hill, of which sometimes requires it’s students to carry water from down hill to have a bath. Some cool dudes will, however have other ideas – like going to the ‘kolam’ or take a bath near the guard house with only their ‘seluar katak’. Forgive my digression.

Anyway, it’s true that I never really thought of what career I want to do. I just want to do well for my exams and whatever I want to do like sports. Though I admit I am not a bright or talented person. Never good in cricket or football or hockey. Academic-wise also the same. Perhaps jack of all trades but master of none… hahaha.. blimey!!

Only when I befriended Lab Papa that I started to ‘see things’. We were in F4 at that time and we are good friends. I started to think what I want to do. But I never ‘finalised’ what I want to do as a career, as everything seems unsuitable for me. Perhaps ‘unreachable’ too as I know my own capabilities academically. I thought I tried too hard to find a career that I tried meddling in astronomy. I always go to the library and read those kinds of books. Two other friends always joins me – Cliff and Jason. Though Cliff usually looks for chess books and Jason, martial arts. Haha.. those were the days. Maybe they wanted to be the heir to Kasparov or Bruce Lee.. hahaha

I was really into astronomy that I declared to one teacher one afternoon – I want to become an astronomer!! CRAP!!! The teacher – I forgot who he is – shot down my ‘absurd’ idea right at that moment and it really go down the drain. “Where on earth (Malaysia) you will find a job for an astronomer” he says and said many other ‘advices’ to me. I have forgotten whether Lab Papa was with me… hehehe

So, when I finished Form 5, I tried to ‘survey’ what I wanted to do. Architecture and science seems a good bet for me as I am aware of my capabilities, but again never really ‘finalised’ it. Luckily my SPM result was okay. What luck!!!

I remember Lab Papa suggested to me to apply for RPKJ. But later I said I just want to go for the normal pre-U. For the two years in pre-U, I think I ‘worked’ hard to find what I wanted to take up as a career. Eventually, I ‘found’ my strength and weaknesses. I’ve consulted close friends, seniors and lecturers, did some serious reading and ‘analysis’ and finally ‘finalised’ what I wanted to do!! Yay!!

But sadly, eventhough I was offered the place, someone else has taken it!!! Thanks to the postal service that sent my offer letter very very late!! I don’t want to go into details about this incident though..hehehe.. as my mind is already cleared up

To summarize, I applied to do something I want to do, got offered a place, but was taken up by someone else, end up doing a different course, but grown to love it.. though in the end, I was am doing something else right now, different from the course I have taken… hahahaha…

Wow, I have digressed so much. Initially I was trying to ask you all what will you be if you are not doing what you are doing now, isn’t it… hahaha.. and I end up telling something else.. really this is pure ramblings of me… cheers friends!!

 

Well, at least this has cleared up my jammed mind.. heheheee

6 comments:

carolchs said...

if i am not a teacher, i think i'd be working in a food industry or perhaps something to do with arts. But the truth is..i was a Banking/Finance graduate and never thought teaching (what more primary kiddos) would stand on my path.

I believe that when I have landed myself on something... to make it work for me, I need to work on it first. It may not be the thing that I have been wanting to do so much but if a little passion is thrown onto it, i'm sure things can work out as it should be. :)

Aza said...

Yeah, those ambitions we had when we were in school were all crap. They were good to be used as a goal so we succeed in school but.... I wish our teachers taught us to get outside the box, use our talent and creativity to make money. If I am not doing what I do now, I want to come up with an idea to make something that no human being has yet create, make it, and then get a patent for it. Then just collect royalty money for anybody to use my invention. Basically, I don't want to do what I do now. What I do now I want to do it for free as a service to the public / needing communities (if I can make a lot of money from somewhere else lah)...

Lab papa said...

I never thought to be a scientist before. All I wanted was to be a pilot, a 747 jumbo jet pilot to be precise. Maybe I was influenced by my late father. He was a mechanic for MAS. Until I realized that to be a pilot, one has to has a great eye sight. That was during standard 5 when I started to wear eyeglass sob sob.

If I am not what I am right now, I probably become a...hmmm...town planner??? or perhaps one of MILIMEWA worker aha..got you hombi hahahahaha.

Hombidai said...

Chegu... I agree that a little (or a lot of) passion is needed to make something works esp. with your career now..

Aza.. wow!! that is really something 'out of the box or out of this world'!!

Lab papa - ah yess, i remember now you wanted to become a town planner cos one of your auntie is one isn't it? hmmmm... milimewa worker hehehe or perhaps we will turn into world class bowlers

Linachu said...

When I was thinking about leaving my previous job..one of my colleague commented, 'Apa lagi yang kau bulih buat?' I was actually quite offended, the idea that I couldn't possibly do anything else. At that time I thought there was a world of possibilities of what I could do. I still do. But as Aza says, if money weren't an issue, I'd be happy just as a stay at home mom and wife!

Looking back now, I have to admit that I did make a wrong choice of course at uni. All through that time, I was just OK..I struggled through quite a few subjects, I had problems visualizing engineering concepts and what engineers really do... but at that time, I thought it was something I had to do. I had a scholarship, a really good one as well. One of my juniors actually left, he breached his scholarship agreement and went back to malaysia, went to UM and took up English instead. And I thought, wow..that's gutsy. I wished I had the guts to do that but of course I didn't... I wished I had studied journalism or English, sometimes I even think I would've made a good doctor... I'm hoping I can still achieve one of those, not too late bah kan...

Hombidai said...

Linachu.. I always believe there's nothing too late at our age. and i do hope you achieve your hearts desire..

i believe our education palyed a role too in our choices or perhaps our' dreams'..our families too minfluence our choices IMHO

i too made bad choices and some are really really bad, perhaps i am better off doing something in that requires arts/creative/that kind of thing.. or perhaps i can do really well in management.. hmmm

love all comments here... thanks my friends