Friday, February 27, 2009

Thank You Cikgu Faridah…

It’s been a while I have not posted anything here. Haha..

Sometimes, when my mind isn’t occupied from the daily works, something will conjure up in my mind – be it an issue or two regarding public matters which often arise from things I read in the medias, or my son’s progress in life that normally relates to his naughtiness or just pure ramblings of the mind of Monsieur Hombidai… but putting something in the mind into a written or typed thing is another matter. Perhaps I was too lazy too. But I think it’s purely a matter of ‘finding the time’ to do it as my current project which I am handling now is 2 months into it’s completion.

I actually like to write the things in my mind, especially when it provokes my sanity and creativity or whatever I may call it hahaha (temberang gia sia ni). But, this interest of mine of writing anything, especially in English is down to one teacher of whom I really want to thank from deep inside my heart. She is the one who ‘unearth’ this interest of mine to ‘just write whatever you can think of’. Of course she encourages us to do it so that we can improve our written English. (Though I admit I don’t write good articles, I just like to do it in my own way and style haha)

When I was in Form One, we had a new English teacher. Her name is Cikgu Faridah Abdullah (But don’t be mistaken with another Cikgu Faridah who is the wife of Cikgu Awe’ heheheee). Maybe Black Kid still remember her. I am not sure if she taught other classes at that time. I think not, as there is another Mr Gerry. Any of you remember Cikgu Faridah? Maybe she taught Sigma class too.. is it correct Lab Papa?

But she is a great teacher for me. Kind hearted and understanding. I was terrible in English at that time – spoken and written. I admit I couldn’t speak a word in English in when i enter Form One!! Ha ha.. but she had a great idea for us to improve – she asked us to write a “Journal”. Yes, a journal to write anything – it can be some sort of a diary, or just pure ‘ramblings’. Just write anything you can think of, she said. It was not formal, according to her. It is up to you to do, if you want to do it. But she will check our journal and correct and comment on it. I do not know about my other classmates whether they do the Journal or not, but I remember Cikgu Faridah said something that I was one of a few persons who is ‘rajin’ to do it. I always send my journal once a week so that she can check and comment.

I really loved the idea, so I started off with one book. I wrote many things - my ideas from the articles I read in Reader’s Digest, even tried to translate some easy articles in BM into English to incidents happened to me. At one time, I wrote about how I got my head into stitches – it was an article with some cartoons to illustrate what happened. She commented, “nice cartoons. Now I know how you get those bandages on your head”. Ha ha. Yepp, I was playing goalkeeper and I hit my head on the goal post trying to save someone’s scoring a goal. I manage to save the ball but I didn’t manage to save my head!!! Hahaha

She was always giving good comments and correcting my writings. That encourages me I suppose and end up completing 3 books full of my ramblings (I called it Vol 1, 2 and 3). The things I have written there is something like the things I am writing in this blog, though that was kid’s stuffs at that time.

Actually, a few months back, me and my family was cleaning and clearing unwanted things in my Mom’s house. Then I came across my Journal – though only one of them. Then it invoke my memories when I was studying on one of the ‘sot’test school in town (ha ha ha). Too bad I couldn’t find the other two volumes. Now the surviving journal is in the hands of my niece, Andrea Gracia (who won state-level NST spelling contest last year). My brother told me that she has read my Journal and is doing her own journal too. Good for her.

To Cikgu Faridah Abdullah, wherever you are.. Thank you many zillion times. I don’t think this is enough how I feel very thankful to what you have done to me, especially. You may not remember me, the small skinny kid in Form One Beta… hahaha… but i do remember you Cikgu..

I wasn’t able to say thank you to her as I think she left suddenly. I think she was transferred elsewhere and dind’t stay for a whole year teaching us (this I remember because our Beta class joined the Alpha class with by Mr Gerry who taught us to sing a song.. what was that song again.. errr.. can’t remember..oooh yeah “Where Do We Go From Here” is it?)

She may not have realised what impact she has done to the English of Monsiuer Hombidai, the little skinny kid. Although I still need to improve a lot in my writings, in my mind, she has direct impact to me.

Thank you again Cikgu Faridah…

10 comments:

carolchs said...

the 'journal' idea is interesting.
i may want to start that on my Year 6 kids too. :)

it's nice to remember those who have been your supports for who you are today kan?

Hombidai said...

yes Chegu... i am really thankful & indebted to her all my life..

Aza said...

Wah sekali kau menulis penuh blog kau... been waiting for you to blog again. I remember Cikgu Faridah but I think she taught my class when I was in Form 3 or Form 4. I can't remember exactly... but I too had a journal. Kah kah kah.. bikin malu sia ja. You know what I wrote about? Fantasizing about dancing and dating Joey Mcintyre (NKOTB). Cesssss. Memalukan.. memang dia baca ketawa mati2 kali tu. At least what you wrote are educational (readers digest, etc.) mine was total rubbish.

Lab papa said...

Its lab papa from his lab on saturday haha.

Yeap I remember her and the journal thing. She really was a great teacher with strrrrrrrong american accent. She assisted me once on buying book for reading. She also once called to see her privately because my grammar was so terrible. I was so ashamed because few teachers nearby looked at me with smiling faces. Because of that I never do the same mistake again. Anyways, regarding the journal, it was a really great idea. My best writing was "Why I hate rap and RnB music". Like hombi, I ended my writing with a picture of several death metal fans smashing a raper's radio. woah really aggressive hahah.

Lab papa said...

Ohhh btw, Aza, I do remember your writing about NKOTB. I laughed too :)

Linachu said...

Hi Hombidai.good to read ur entries again.

Bukan wife Cikgu Awe' tu Puan Fauziah ka nama dia? Hmm..I think there was only one Cikgu Faridah in the school.. and yeah, I do remember her as the tall, lanky, teacher with the American accent. I thought she stayed quite a few years also there?? Hmm...not sure la, can't remember already.. Do you guys remember Cikgu Azman? Paling sia ingat dia gembira pasal he challenged us to find the longest word in the English language and he won. Hehe..

Wow..that journal is sure a keepsake item now. You should jaga tu..

Hombidai said...

Hi Linachu.. oooo yah, betul.. cikgu Fauziah bah tu wife Cikgu awe.. hahaha .. adui, silap sudah saya haha

Yes, tall lanky with American accent Cikgu Faridah.. really my mind fails me.. she stayed a few years?? and I think she came in the same batch with Cikgu Azman

He is the guy who lnow how to play guitar.. ask Lab Papa.. he should remember..

Hombidai said...

Aza.. if you still had your Journal about your NOKOTOB fantasies.. you should post it up on your blog.. word by word, exactly how you wrote them some 10 years or so ago.. haha.. would be really interesting (wonder if you do meet him there, would you still want to date and dance with Joey Mcintyre?? hehe)

ah ha.. people actually remembers her - Cikgu Faridah

haha.. u all know what, once she did a 'parcle passing activity' in class Beta.. so i was very naughty and took off the chair from under Zainal Tom's butt.. he fell and next thing he wanted to give me a big punch.. luckily cikgu Faridah calmed the situation down and to make me go away.. she ask me to carry her books to the teacher's office.. just to make me away from Zainal... silly me.. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Hombidai- I don't know if I can find that journal again. My parents moved from KK to Papar right after I graduated high school and all my stuff in highschool were packed in a box somewhere and they said they put it in the storage shed but maybe kena makan tikus/lipas sudah tu sekarang.. oh no, now i don't find him cute anymore maybe because dia tua sudah.. haha..

rin-chan 린- 찬 said...

LOL!!! nda sia ingat langsung pasal tu journal. But Aza - NKOTB? Heheh... I do remember ko memang suka Joey time tu :-)

Lab Papa, sampai sekarang pun tetap with Death Metal songs aa..

Cigu Fauziah Abidin ka full name dia tu?